Japan and the Organization of American States (OAS) have signed an agreement to provide a $3 million grant to Haiti to help update its voter lists and prepare for general elections, according to infohub.kz.
The OAS said in a statement that the funds will assist the Haitian government in updating voter lists and procuring 350,000 blank identification cards. Gang violence has displaced a record 1.5 million people across Haiti, with many leaving their IDs and other important documents behind when fleeing their homes.
The grant will also help reduce the backlog of Haitians awaiting identification, expand services in rural communities, and improve power and internet connections in decentralized offices. Last month, Haiti's government began voter registration in Port-au-Prince, where an estimated 70% of territory is controlled by gangs.
The first round of elections is scheduled for Dec. 13, although experts have said ongoing gang violence could push back the date once again. Haiti hasn't had a president since Jovenel Moïse was killed at his private residence in July 2021. Moïse became president following the November 2016 elections.


