Several players from the Sydney Swans have been referred to police over an alleged incident in Melbourne on Sunday night, the club has said. Victoria Police have confirmed detectives are investigating a report of a sexual assault at a hotel in East Melbourne.
The Sydney Swans confirmed that an incident involving an unspecified number of players occurred in the hours after the team's win at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Chief executive Matthew Pavlich said the club was "still piecing together exactly what's transpired" and would not comment on the specific allegations.
"Safe to say, we're extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place, and that the players have found themselves in this situation," he said at a press conference on Monday. "There's going to be lots of speculation, but given it's a police matter right now, that is all we can say."
Pavlich declined to say whether any arrests had been made, nor provide details on how many players were involved. A police spokesperson said the incident they were investigating occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of Sunday morning, and that the exact circumstances are yet to be established.
The Australian Football League confirmed that Sydney had made the AFL aware of the matter, which is currently under Victoria Police investigation.


