A devastating earthquake that struck Colombia on August 10 caused direct material damage of $9.6 billion, according to infohub.kz.
In a statement, Colombian President Abelardo de la Espriella said the direct damage in the departments of Chocó, Valle del Cauca, Risaralda, Quindío, and Caldas is close to 30 trillion pesos, of which 24.5 trillion ($7.8 billion) is attributed to buildings and 5.5 trillion ($1.8 billion) to infrastructure. He stressed that these are preliminary figures.
According to the latest data, 289 people died as a result of the earthquake.
It is recalled that on August 10, a strong earthquake of magnitude 7.4 struck Colombia. That evening, 30 deaths were reported. On August 12, a state of disaster was declared in the country. Last week, the president said that 265 people had died in the earthquakes.


